An applicant for a CCDW license must complete an application form at the sheriff's office in his or her county of residence. The applicant must also pay the $60 application fee at the time of application (active and retired peace officers that meet the requirements of KRS 237.110(7) are exempt from paying the application or renewal fee). The sixty-dollar fee is to be allocated as follows:
- Payment of twenty dollars to the sheriff of your county of residence.
- A check or money order for forty dollars (the portion of the CCDW fee allocated to the KSP and the Administrative Office of the Courts by statute) payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer. The KSP will collect the portion of the fee designated for the Administrative Office of the Courts on its behalf.
Applications that are not accompanied by a check or money order for forty dollars ($40.00) payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer will be returned unprocessed to the sheriff of the applicant's county of residence.
The application will be sent to the Kentucky State Police within five working days.
The application form, completed under oath, must include the following:
- Name, Address, Date of Birth, Gender and Social Security Number.
- A photograph that meets one of the following standards:
- An original color photograph or a color photographic copy developed from the negative of an original photograph and:
- Be no less than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches by four (4) inches; and
- Not exceed four (4) inches by six (6) inches;
- A color photograph from a digital camera, rated for seven (7) megapixels or greater, printed on photograph quality paper; or
- An original color passport style photograph that is:
- 2 x 2 inches in size; and
- Between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
The photograph shall display the full front of the head and the facial features of the applicant and not be a photograph of the applicant wearing:
- A hat; or
- Attire that obscures a facial feature, hair, or hairline.
The CCDW License Application - If you are not a U.S. Citizen, the Citizenship Affidavit (KSP 131) must be completed and submitted to the sheriff of your county of residence to be attached to the application. You can download the KSP 131 by clicking here.
Not less than one hundred twenty (120) days prior to the expiration date of a CCDW license, the Department of State Police shall mail to each licensee a written notice of the expiration and a renewal form. If you wish to renew your CCDW license, you must take the renewal notice and a color photograph to the Sheriff of your county of residence. If you are not a U.S. Citizen, the Citizenship Affidavit (KSP 131) must be completed and submitted to the sheriff of your county of residence to be attached to the renewal form. You can download the CCDW License Citizenship/Immigration Status Affidavit (KSP 131) to be submitted with the renewal form to the Sheriff of your county of residence by clicking here. The photograph must be in color. The photograph must be no less than three and one-half (3 1/2) inches by four (4) inches and no more than four (4) inches by five (5) inches. The photograph shall display the full front of the head and the facial features of the applicant. The applicant shall not wear sunglasses or attire that obscures their facial features in the photograph. The photograph shall be an original photograph or a photographic copy developed from the negative of an original photograph and must not be an image produced by a computer, copier or other copy machine. Digital photographs or their printed images are not acceptable.
If you fail to renew your license on or before the expiration date and wish to renew your license, you will be required to pay an additional late fee of fifteen dollars ($15.00).
To pay the renewal fee, you must submit a payment to the Sheriff in the amount of twenty dollars and a check or money order in the amount of forty dollars (fifty five dollars if the renewal application is submitted after the expiration date of the license) payable to the Kentucky State Treasurer.
If six months or more has passed since the expiration date of your license, your license has permanently expired and cannot be renewed. If your license has permanently expired, you may reapply for licensure pursuant to KRS 237.110 by obtaining a CCDW application from the Sheriff of your county of residence.
Lost, Stolen or Destroyed licenses
If a license is lost, stolen, or destroyed a duplicate may be requested for a $15 fee. You must complete a Request for Duplicate (KSP 126) at the office of the Sheriff of your county of residence. Once completed, the Sheriff will forward the information and fee to the Kentucky State Police.
Change of address/personal information
You are required to notify the Kentucky State Police within thirty days after the changing of a permanent address. Failure to do so is a noncriminal violation with a penalty of twenty-five dollars payable to the clerk of the District Court. To change or update your address, you must complete a Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons Licensee Request for Change of Personal Information (KSP 121) at the office of the Sheriff of your county of residence. Once completed, the Sheriff will forward the information to the Kentucky State Police.